* Administrative Assistant - Housing & Neighborhood Revitalization and Code Enforcement
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$4,606 - $6,194 per month
- Posted Date:12/05/2017 9:33 AM
The City of Lancaster
Invites Applications for:
(Non-Union - Professional/Supervisory)
Housing & Neighborhood Revitalization and Code Enforcement Department
Range 43 - Exempt - Not Eligible for Overtime Eligible for Administrative Time (76 Hours)
Benefits eligible & 401(a) payment equal to 3% of base salary
Provides highly responsible clerical and administrative support to a Department Head or Division Manager, performs a variety of highly responsible and complex duties for a department. Receives direction from assigned executive and/or management personnel. May exercise direct supervision over assigned clerical staff.
This is the journey level position in which incumbents are fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility. Positions at this level are distinguished by the level of responsibility assumed and the complexity of duties assigned. Employees perform difficult and responsible duties, including departmental administrative support such as budget, personnel, or a departmental program or function.
- Perform administrative projects for executive and/or management personnel; research and compile background data; maintain records, department or division internet/intranet sites and file regarding department administrative activities.
- Assist in developing staff reports for submittal to the City Manager or City Council including preparing reports, assembling background materials, and composing first drafts.
- Participate and assist in the development and administration of a department budget; prepare budget reports; compile annual budget requests; monitor and control expenditures.
- Interpret and explain City and department policies, rules, and regulations in response to inquiries; refer inquiries as appropriate; assist in developing department policies and procedures in order to meet department objectives.
- Independently respond to letters and general correspondence not requiring the attention of executive and/or management personnel.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of goals and objectives; establish schedules and methods for office operations; implement office policies and procedures.
- Evaluate operations and activities of assigned responsibilities; recommend improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
- Review and summarize miscellaneous reports and documents; prepare background documents as necessary.
- Research and analyze routine administrative projects for executive and/or management staff or the City Council; prepare first draft reports on routine administrative matters.
- Receive and distribute incoming mail; review and evaluate mail/e-mail to identify items requiring priority attention.
- Provide follow up to assignments given to management and/or operations staff by executive and/or management staff; provide status reports to executive and/or management staff.
- Receive telephone calls including complaints, and provide assistance to callers using judgment as to calls requiring priority attention.
- Coordinate and makes travel arrangements; maintain appointment schedules and calendars; arrange meetings and conferences.
- Provide clerical support for assigned task forces, commissions, and boards.
- Supervise assigned staff; plans, prioritize, assign, and review the work of staff involved in providing administrative support; may conduct employee evaluations; participates in the selection of staff; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; recommend disciplinary action and implement discipline procedures as directed.
- May order and purchase supplies for administrative operations; perform accounting functions related to ordering supplies, equipment and services.
- May maintain time card and payroll records; maintain personnel files and records for management personnel including employee evaluations and disciplinary actions.
- Assist in the support of a board or commission including posting legal notices, preparing agendas, assembling background materials, and typing minutes of meetings as assigned.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or related field; OR equivalent years of work experience (4 years) in an office setting, preferably in a public agency; OR any equivalent combination of education and work experience. One (1) year of office management and/or supervisory experience required.
- Ability to understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to perform assigned responsibilities; maintain confidentiality; observe, identify, and problem solve office/departmental systems and procedures; and understand, interpret and explain department policies and procedures to staff and the public.
- Ability to use initiative and good judgment; establish priorities and meet critical deadlines and follow up on assignments with minimal direction; Knowledge of pertinent City functions, policies, rules and regulations.
- Ability to exhibit a high level of organizational skills including the ability to handle multiple interruptions and prioritize and follow-up on work assignments.
- Ability to interpret and carry out a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form; possess excellent interpersonal communication skills both verbal and written; ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to compose general and complex correspondence, letters and reports; interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies, laws, and rules; analyze situations carefully, recommend solutions, adopt effective courses of action; Knowledge of correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Ability to work independently under pressure to meet deadlines and in the absence of supervision; detail oriented, self-motivating.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships; ability to work with all levels of employees and management, and willingness to give assistance to co-workers.
- Ability to manage several projects/tasks at the same time with high level of attention to accuracy and detail.
- Ability to prepare, read, understand and review documents for accuracy with high attention to detail; maintain accurate records.
- Knowledge of principle and practices of office management and supervision; Ability to select, supervise, train and evaluate professional and technical staff.
- Ability to work with all levels of employees and management, and willingness to give assistance to co-workers.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint; proficiency in common office equipment, i.e. printer, scanner, copier and fax machine.
- Ability to work extended hours including evenings as needed.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment with extensive public contact and constant interruptions; incumbents may be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends, and may be required to travel outside City boundaries to attend meetings.
- Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office and outdoor setting:
- To stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight (up to 25lbs); to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
- Vision requirements:
- See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
- Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
For additional information please review our Job Application and Selection Procedure page.